Thursday, July 8, 2010

Questions to answer

Jen asks:
I have so many questions about this. Maybe this is too personal and none of my business, so just tell me so if that is how you feel. Are you using your eggs with the father's sperm? Sperm donation? Is this done through IUI or IVF? If IUI with medications, did they tell you the risk of multiple pregnancy? If IVF, are you using an embryo donation? If so, is the embryo from the parents? Do you know which medication cocktail you will be taking? Ok-that is all for now.

Jen - you should know better by now - I am an open book. There is almost no question, when asked sincerely, that I am offended by......I am willing to answer almost anything. Feel free to ask any questions along this process.

I am NOT using my eggs. I would NOT want to do this as I feel some ownership to my DNA. I would not want to give my DNA to a child that would be raised by someone other than myself and my husband.

It varies with each person/couple, but with the couple I am matched with, the embryo/s will contain eggs from the mother and sperm from the father. The intended parents actually have a 4 year old child that they conceived and carried naturally. Her pregnancy was wonderful, but there was complications with the delivery. She had developed TTP/HELLP and it did not present itself until time of delivery. If I remember correctly, she almost died, was in a coma, needed several corrective surgeries, needed dialysis, and was unable to hold her child for several months. Needless to say she nor her family want her to take that risk again. They thought about adoption, but strongly desire their biological child.

Typically, the embryos will be placed IVF. I am not sure of exactly what medication I will be taking and the exact procedures that I will undergo, but I am familiar with the standard practices of gestational surrogacy. My menstrual cycle will need to be on track with the intended mother's so my uterine lining is thickened and ready at the same time egg retrieval is happening from the mother. I may need to take oral and/or injections to make this happen. Here is a list of commonly used medication used during an IVF cycle for both myself and the mother. I am not sure exactly what drug cocktail I will be using until later.

I have been told that the parent's are requesting to transfer 2 embryos. I am willing to do this, but understand the greater risk it involves. I would be happy with 1, concerned - but willing with 2, and scared with anything beyond that.

Here is another link with FAQ's that may interest you. Let me know if you have further questions.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for being open and answering my questions. I find this process so amazing and find it honorable that you are doing this for this family.

    ReplyDelete