Tuesday, November 26, 2013

20 week appointment and ultrasound





I received my flu shot.  I had my ultrasound then saw my nurse practitioner.  My blood pressure was 124/78.  Baby's heart rate was 161, which is good for this stage.  His estimated weight is 11 ounces, which is within normal range for the gestational age.  She said that all organs and bone structures looked perfect.

However, the umbilical cord has a  "marginal cord insertion”, which means that instead of the umbilical cord inserting into the center of the placenta (the meatiest part), it’s inserted into the side of the placenta. In a small percentage of cases this can affect the growth of the baby but that Jeremias is growing right on track so we seem to be fine. If there IS a growth problem, they more than likely wouldn’t see it until the third trimester. I guess it has something to do with how the baby takes up more space in the uterus and somehow isn’t getting enough nutrients from the placenta to grow at a normal rate. They recommended growth ultrasounds every four weeks, which would be increased if they notice anything abnormal. There is a very low risk of anything happening. The nurse practitioner said the doctor is not usually concerned about this condition.  We will all keep a close eye on the little guy to make sure he is getting enough food in his belly!

I am feeling stronger flutters, no real big, strong kicks yet.  Life is good.   Happy Thanksgiving all!

1 comment: