Monday, April 14, 2014

Birth Story - Jeremias

I was scheduled for a c-section on Friday, APril 11th. On Wednesday, April 9th, I woke up feeling a bit crampy and tired. I have been having Braxton Hicks contractions like crazy, so thought nothing of being crampy.  I rested on the couch mid morning and about 10:50 AM, I used the bathroom.  I had bright red, bloody show.  Whenever I have lost my mucous plug in the past, it was just pink tinged.  I wondered if it may be a hemmorhoidal issue, but after going to the bathroom a couple more times, I determined it was not. I was having crampiness, but no REAL contractions.  I called my OB clinic who said to come on in and get monitored and checked.

I made arrangements for my kids, Brian came home, and went with me.  I started timing my "cramps"  which had seemed to be getting more regular, but still nothing that seemed intense.  On the way up to the clinic, they were spaced 4-7 minutes apart and I started to slightly pause and take notice.
We arrived at the OB clinic.  They hooked me up to the monitor.  
I had felt Jeremias moving earlier in the day, but there was not any action from him at the clinic, so they gave me some grape juice and buzzed (sound and vibration) my belly with some instrument to get him woke up.  He started moving about and contractions started being a bit more intense.  My blood pressure was a little high.  My vaginal discharge was no longer bright red, more brownish.  They decided to send me over to Labor and Delivery to get a bag of fluid, thinking maybe I was a bit dehydrated and not even in active labor.
Soon after arriving in L&D, they got the IV in, I continued to have contractions.     
The nurse checked me - I was dilated to 4.  15 minutes later, the OB checked me - I was dilated to 5.  She determined I would be staying.  The anesthesiologist came in and discussed our options for surgery.  Because I had that grape juice at the clinic, I would need to wait till I could get the spinal for the c-sections surgery.  I could also just be put to sleep.  AN hour later, the doctor checked me again, I was dilated to 8.  I had no choice - I was going to be knocked out to have this baby/ c-section surgery.   They paged the anesthesiologist and started prepping me for surgery. The contractions were VERY uncomfortable.

I remember being bumped into walls being wheeled into the OR room.  The contractions were crazy.  They wanted me to transfer from 1 bed to the operating table - I did quickly between very close contractions.  The contractions kept coming intense with no time between.  They asked me to open and relax my legs to place a catheter.  I was screaming like a primal wild animal at this point.  When they finally forced my legs open to start putting a catheter, the doctor said there would be no time, I was just going to have to push - he was right there.  WHAT?????!!!!!!  I was pushing away from the table with my legs, trying to escape this crazy situation I was in.  There were several people trying to help me, forcing my legs up and my chin to my chest, but I was delirious and did not know what the hell to do.  Finally, I felt his head crowning, I realized what I had to do, and concentrated on proper pushing.  I FELT EVERYTHING!  His head stretching me and coming out, his shoulders and body, then the placenta.  OMG!!  Then I was fine.  :)  I was in disbelief at what happened.  I still kind of am.  :)  I can say that recovery is A LOT different from what I expected to be having, that is for sure!  I am tired, but feel great!  
I told Brian that if I was unable to care for Jeremias until his daddies arrived, he HAD to hold him.  Jeremias was not going to be placed alone in the nursery.  He only had to do this a few minutes while I got monitored and cleaned up.  
Here he is!  
Look at that hair!  

what a sweetie!
The guys rushed to get here.  They had been in NYC doing touristy things with one of their moms.  They got an earlier flight and arrived ASAP, getting to us around 3 AM - 8 hours after Jeremias was born.  I got to act as temporary mommy until the guys arrived.  I enjoyed this time.  
Video of them coming in.  :)  So excited and happy for them.  

handing over the responsibility of this precious life

I LOVE this first pic of the new family.  

this is another one of my favorites!  filled with joy!  

handing over to grandma for the 1st time


this is my schedule all planned out.....notice it is crossed off up to Wednesday.  I was supposed to have a couple more days!  That lil' guy did not follow the plan!  

I pumped while at the hospital and provided the liquid gold that is colostrum.  
Proud, tired daddies

Discharge day

grateful grandmas

We made a great team!  Love these guys!  
I was discharged on Friday.  I went to visit the guys and Jeremias at their hotel on Sunday.  My mom, husband, and kids came along and we said our good-byes (for now).  Another amazing experience!


  1. Thanks for sharing this story with us all!

    My last birth I did it unexpectedly without drugs...yes, you feel everything but I think that I recovered quicker! What are your thoughts?

    1. Recovery is going VERY well! It is a WORLD of difference!

  2. Beautiful work, beautifully done. My favorite part of this story is how you and Brian made sure to hold Jeremias and love on him until the dads arrived. That touches me so much and I think it is so important. What a wild birth story - sounds a bit traumatic but I am glad that at least you were spared the surgery recovery. Also, I am rather impressed with your milk output in the hospital! Thank you for sharing the story, and thank you to Jeremias's family for agreeing to have pictures shared here.

    1. I pumped every 3 hours while I was there and was VERY impressed at how much colostrum was puled out of me. This picture was just from 1 pumping! My breasts are complaining right now though! I have been living with ice packs attached to me!

    2. Try cabbage leaves, and pump or hand express just to the point of some relief if you have to! Don't want you to wind up with mastitis! Superstar! Superstar!

    3. Oh, and sage and peppermint dry up milk, so you might want to try some strong teas or tinctures.

    4. Thanks. I am hoping this is the last day with ice....I haven't had to release any.....I SHOULD drink some tea these next few days though....

  3. You are amazing and gave these men a wonderful gift. I also love that Brian held him so he wouldn't be alone. You have fulfilled a space in these families lives that will never be empty again.

  4. Love this story, Carla! What an intense, amazing birth! Teared up looking at the pictures... feeling the love!

  5. This is so amazing! I love hearing the excited waver in your voice in the video. That must have been a great moment to live through! You are such a good person, Carla.

  6. Carla, this is beautiful! I loved the story all the way through and so touched. Thank you for sharing.

  7. Carla, as I read/viewed your blog iam moved to tears. You my dear are one amazing woman! What a beautiful gift you have brought into the world. You are so selfless, compassionate and caring. The joy and love in the pictures is so wonderful. Thanks for sharing

  8. I am so late to the game, but oh! These pictures made my morning. What joy! Its just pouring out of Jeremiah's family in every photo. Congratulations! To everyone, and go you! What a great post to start my week. Hope recovery is going well.